Erdogan had stormed out of an angry debate on the
Here are the highlights of the press conference:
- We had very beneficial meetings in Davos.
- I had the opportunity to express our views on various issues from the global crisis to the global conflicts.
- We had a meeting with IMF Deputy Managing Director Lipsky. The domestic and foreign media showed great interest this meeting.
- Business leaders said they make important investment plans for Turkey and we told them that we are going to do our best to attract these investments.
- Today's session started in a very nice atmosphere. I would like to underline one thing as the Prime Minister of Turkey.
- I attended this session as the Prime Minister of Turkey. I would like to explain my behavior to my people. This is not the first time I attend such meetings.
- We started the session. I wrote down the minutes of the speech duration. Ban Ki-Moon was the person who used this time. Mr. Amr Moussa was warned by the moderator in his 12th or 13th minute and ended his speech at the 15th minute. My speech lasted 15 minutes.
- When it came to Mr. Peres. He spoke for 23 minutes without taking any notice or warning. During his speech he used a very surprising rhetoric and used insulting terms.
- His manner was unacceptable.
- I don't speak the same language with the retired diplomats. I come from politics not diplomacy. I have to protect the dignity of my people.
- I told them that I don't raise my voice but I have to answer some criticism.
- Whoever stands there, my people would have expected the same attitude. And when we asked the floor from the moderator to respond these words, he denied it.
- The issue is not personal. It is about my country's reputation and dignity. I cannot allow anybody to harm my country's dignity and honor.
- Tomorrow I will attend an opening ceremony and will give further details then.
QUESTION: What will be the possible impacts of this incident on Turkish-Israeli relations?
ANSWER: When we get on the plane, I was informed that Mr. Peres called. I decided to hear it and we recorded it. During the speech, he said that he respects us and he is very sorry for this incident. Peres said they told me that they couldn't hear me that's way he raised my voice. We gave him the necessary responses and I will give the further details tomorrow. We do not make decisions or act in anger. Our criticism is not towards the Israeli people or Jews but towards the Israeli administration. The Israeli government misleads our criticism. I would like underline that the sole target of our criticism is the Israeli government.
QUESTION: Will you go to future Davos meetings?
ANSWER: No, I don't think so for now.