Telecoms companies had expected the tender to take place next month after Turkey launches mobile phone number portability -- allowing users to take their numbers with them when they switch operator -- on Nov. 9.
"The tender will be held in December if there is no extraordinary development," one source close to the transaction said.
An auction for a 3G mobile phone license was cancelled last year due to a lack of competition. Turkish operator Turkcell was the only participant, while Vodafone, France Telecom's Orange and Turkey's Avea studied bid documents but did not make offers.
Vodafone, the second-biggest operator, and Avea had said they wanted number portability to be enforced before the forthcoming auction. Turkcell had opposed this.