Turk police arrest one suspect over U.S. Consulate attack

Hurriyet English with wires
13 Temmuz 2008 - 11:29Son Güncelleme : 13 Temmuz 2008 - 18:03

Three more people have been detained in connection with the armed attack outside the United States Consulate General in Istanbul. Police have arrested one of the suspects in connection with the attack, while two have been released without charge. (UPDATED)

Anti-terror teams raided a number of homes and businesses in the Altinsehir neighborhood of Istanbul where the gunmen had been living, and detained three people.

Istanbul’s governor says 12 people have been detained for questioning as part of a police inquiry into the attack on the U.S. Consulate.

Governor Muammer Guler has said Sunday a police investigation is continuing into the July 9 attack when gunmen opened fire killing three policemen at a guard house at the main gate of the consular compound. Three assailants also died when police returned fire.

Authorities and reports say those being questioned include a man who allegedly drove the attackers to the consulate and a man who had several telephone calls with the attackers.

Police suspect the gunmen had ties to al Qaeda but say they have no proof so far of a link.

 

Etiketler:


    EN ÇOK OKUNANLAR

      Sayfa Başı