Hurriyet had access to the minutes of the meeting between Rice and Gul, which lasted 1.5 hours. In their meeting, Gul said that to win the hearts of Turkish people "The White House should take serious steps about series and films that display a bad image of Turks, PKK, Cyprus and Kirkuk."
In reply Rice said, "There can be misunderstanding between friends sometimes. This does not mean that the friendship has been damaged. The PKK is a terror organization for us, just like Al-Qaeda. We understand your complaints about the films.
"The Bush Administration is also victimized by these films. The majority of these are products of Holly wood. We can not influence it. If we had the power, we could have prevented Michael Moore's film 'Fahrenneit 9/11'.
WE MADE UP WITH EU, BUT TURKEY IS TOUGH
The Washington Post daily commented on the Rice visit to Turkey, saying that the differences over Iraq have been eliminated with Europe, but "our business with Turkey is tough". The Turkish public opinion is against the U.S. existence in Iraq and is angry that the PKK has not been quelled yet.
RICE PLEADS ABOUT IMAGE AND IRAN
During their meeting, Rice requested that Gul prevent the anti-American sentiments in Turkey and Iran.
"Our studies show that anti-American feelings in Turkey are rising. We know that you and the Prime Minister have an influence to play a big role in enlightening public opinion. Underlining the points we have agreed on, we are not intending to make a strategic questioning. Because we are already strategic allies."
During her visit to Turkey, Rice had intended to state her personal view as the new Secretary of State. I can not say what she talked about behind the closed doors. But the things she said and did not say before the public displayed her policies are in parallel with the U.S. President.
* But the U.S. may take a common stance against terror, along with Turkey and the new Iraqi Administration. (That is to say; Be in good relations
* To implement cooperation against terror, you have to understand the definition of Al Quaeda and Palestinian terror organizations along with the PKK and to understand fighting all of them.
* For its benefits, the U.S. is for the territorial integrity of Iraq.
* The shape to be resumed by Iraq, will depend on its constitutional process (That will be controlled directly by U.S)
* The Iraqi people will decide on the future shape of Kirkuk. (Let Kurds not be over-enthusiastic; We have not decided about that yet)
* Iran will not be attacked soon. But the option is still on Bush's table.
* The U.S. does not have a concrete economic plan to calm Turkish Cypriots. (The things to be done for Cyprus will be determined within the general
* The March 1 Permit had frustrated us (You pushed us towards the Kurds).
* But we have supported you in EU and IMF. (We are a great and forgiving country. But without us, your EU membership and economic crises can not be solved that easily.)