Opened during the Ottoman Empire and operating until 1983, the Silahtarağa Power Plant produced electricity and after some time of abandonment in 2007 it was turned into an international culture and arts venue.
The former power plant, now named as santralistanbul, is part of Istanbul Bilgi University’s Campus. The first power plant in the city in the Ottoman Empire, Silahtarağa produced electricity starting in 1914. The power plant’s former chairman, electricity technician, turbine maintenance engineer, shift supervisor, control center operator and furnace maintenance craftsmen will meet in the new energy museum. As they share their past experiences, the workers will receive special gifts prepared by santralistanbul’s gift shop and visit the exhibitions.