At least one woman was briefly hospitalized with vomiting and a numb mouth after eating the green beans imported by Nichirei Foods and sold in Ito-Yokado supermarkets, media reports said.
The Chinese manufacturer of the products, Yantai Beihai Foodstuff Co., told Kyodo news agency it had halted shipments of all its products following the incident.
Tests showed one package of beans contained 34,000 times the permitted level of dichlorvos, a highly toxic insecticide,
The food scare emerged a month after a scandal over Chinese milk tainted with the industrial chemical melamine, which killed four babies in
Earlier this year, several Japanese were made ill by Chinese-made dumplings that also contained insecticide, but a joint investigation has so far failed to reveal how the contamination occurred.
"For more than a year, products made in
He added that mistrust over food would not be good for either country.
"Naturally they have to conduct inspections, but we also need to do inspections properly, so I discussed that with the agriculture minister as well as the health minister," he added.
Ito-Yokado apologized for the incident and urged customers not to eat the tainted beans, but to return them to stores.