Gündem Haberleri

GÜNDEM

    Flash flood in Rize kills one and injures two

    Hürriyet Haber
    05 Ekim 2005 - 11:41Son Güncelleme : 05 Ekim 2005 - 11:41

    Flash floods in the Black Sea province of Rize have resulted in one person dead, two injured and one missing, said officials from the Prime Ministry Emergency Management Desk in a statement yesterday. Up to ten houses were demolished in the floods because of landslides in the area, and many other buildings sustained serious damage. A rescue operation has been underway since Tuesday to rescue the victims who have been stranded by the floods.

    The General Staff from the Rize Governor's Office and the Rize Defense Directorate coordinated efforts to avoid further crises. The General Staff sent a helicopter with search-and-rescue teams to the area earlier on Tuesday.

    Power outages occurred and telephone lines were down in the Kalkandere district.

    Rize Governor Enver Salihoğlu said, "a 150-200 meter section of the Rize-Küçükçayır road, linking nearly 30 villages, was blocked by the flood," adding that, "five houses were evacuated late on Monday and that the residents had been relocated to houses of relatives and neighbors. Three village roads were closed, while 20 villages had no electricity and six had no telephone service due to the floods."

    Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan reportedly called the local governor for a briefing on the disaster.

    Rize's governor also said that some of the tea producing facilities had been damaged in the floods, which doesn't look good, as tea is a major source of income and employment for the surrounding area.

    Etiketler:
    

      EN ÇOK OKUNANLAR

        Sayfa Başı