Gündem Haberleri

GÜNDEM

    Condoleezza Rice calls PM Erdogan to reasssure Ankara on NATO veto question

    Hürriyet Haber
    04 Ekim 2005 - 00:00Son Güncelleme : 04 Ekim 2005 - 00:01

    After leaving a Justice and Development (AKP) Party congress meeting yesterday in Kizilcahamam, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan left for Ankara with his convoy, though they stopped shortly after leaving the hotel to pull to the side of the road. The reason behind the roadside stop was a phone call from US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, who was apparently calling to reassure Erdogan and the Ankara administration that the controversial fifth paragraph of the accession talks framework documents would in no way jeopardize Turkey's veto rights in NATO.Ankara's objections to such a threat stem largely from not wanting to lose a power leverage against the Greek Cypriot authority in such a large international organization.  Erdogan: US says their support will continue Responding a bit later to reporters' questions, PM Erdogan said this about US support on EU accession talks for Turkey: "The US has expressed their continuing support on the matter of accession talks. We have told the US 'As Turkey, we have taken all the steps necessary, including steps the EU should have taken themselves. From now on, there are no more steps that Turkey can take.' Our perspective is clear, whether it's about the framework documents from December 17 or from June....Right now, we are asking all the EU countries to respect the decisions made on December 17....But if each day brings another request from Turkey, we will leave off this endeavor."  When asked by a reporter what the US response to his words had been, PM Erdogan said "They say that they will do whatever they can to help us, up until the last minute."
    Etiketler:

      EN ÇOK OKUNANLAR

        Sayfa Başı