Gündem Haberleri

GÜNDEM

    Anti-AKP plan judged not genuine by military

    Hürriyet Daily News
    25.06.2009 - 00:00 | Son Güncelleme:

    ANKARA - The military investigation into an alleged army plot to discredit the government has revealed that the document outlining the plan was a forgery, military prosecutors said Wednesday, sparking a new debate on who is behind the conspiracy.

    "It has been ruled that there is no cause for the prosecution of Staff Col. Dursun Çiçek," the military prosecutor said in a statement late Wednesday.

    It said the dossier was sent to the chief prosecutor in Istanbul where the ruling Justice and Development Party, or AKP, submitted a petition for civilian prosecution of the plot, to investigate "who fabricated the document and for what reasons ... and whether their objective was to tarnish the Turkish Armed Forces."

    The plan, which was first published by the daily Taraf two weeks ago, details ways to break popular support for the AKP and its influential supporter, the Muslim cleric Fethullah Gülen, the leader of the religious Gülen movement. The plan has been seen as a source of new tension between the government and the military and changed the entire country’s political landscape. As the document was allegedly obtained during an investigation as part of the Ergenekon probe Ğ an alleged organization established by both civilians and military personnel to topple the government between 2003 and 2004 Ğ some AKP members argued the plan proved their concerns.

    Interior Minister Beşir Atalay told reporters Tuesday that they could not obtain the original version of the document and it would not be right to discuss whether the signature belonged to Col. Çiçek. The military prosecutor stated that the document was sent to the civilian prosecutor for further investigation to find the perpetrators of the plot and how it was sent to the daily Taraf.

    Expert analysis

    The statement came just a day after the main opposition Republican People’s Party, or CHP, leader Deniz Baykal criticized the military for not being quick to end the investigation and enlighten public opinion. The three-page statement of the military prosecutor responds indirectly to Baykal, detailing all phases of the investigation, which was conducted by military and civilian experts, cryptologists and other technical authorities.

    As part of the investigation, Çiçek’s computers at his office and home were confiscated, his mobile phone was taken and his text messages analyzed. The statement said there was no evidence that Col. Çiçek had been engaged in the preparation of the document, which obviously is not in line with the military correspondence system. Legal experts, however, said though the military prosecutor had ruled that there was no cause for prosecution, the civilian prosecutor could continue their own prosecution if they thought it would be necessary.
    Etiketler:
    

    EN ÇOK OKUNANLAR

      Sayfa Başı